Saturday, February 2, 2013

What I learned at Winter NAMM 2013

I haven't been to a NAMM show in probably a decade. The last time I went it was in Los Angeles, maybe 2002 or 2003.

I used to enjoy the show a lot in the 90s as the DAW technology was evolving and there were new and interesting synths and software. These days, it seems not much has changed in a decade, but here are some highlights!


You probably can't tell from the photo, but that's an iPad that inserts into the body of a "Keytar" controller. Novel for guitarists who don't want to learn how to play keys and I'm sure this helps justify the cost of a new iPad! 


When I saw this six string electric violin I wondered if it was tuned like a guitar, like Jonathan Wilson's "Guitar Viol." But it's not. It's tuned like a Violin with two strings added. 


I learned that you can buy a brand new Martin Acoustic D-455 Authentic 1936 for $59,999. 



I also learned I can buy a brand new Matin DRS2 for $1,000... 


Trussart Steelcaster Lust. God knows I don't need any new guitars, but man do I want one of these! 


I have no idea what these sound like. You can't hear anything meaningful on the NAMM floor. But this line of Pan Asian pedals by Mooer is pretty cool. All pedals are under $100 list. 


Just what the world needs. A $40 wholesale knock off strat. Booyaah! 


One of the cooler things in the basement. A trippy ribbonish synth type instrument/controller into some kind of electric gong/cymbal. An essential for the electro/world nu-age artist. 


Can there ever be to many vintage neve knock-off clones? And now in a 500 series... 


This is tight. The Roland "V-Synth" Series Electric/Synth Accordion. Don't play in the rain. 






No comments:

Post a Comment